Certain persons are entitled to peddle, conduct business, or practice professions or semi-professions without the payment of an occupation tax, administrative fee, or regulatory fee to any city, municipal, or county authority, provided they secure a certificate of exemption issued by the state commissioner of veterans service. No fee is required of veterans who apply for this license. These persons include:

  1. Any disabled war veteran of any armed conflict in which any branch of the armed forces of the United States engaged whether under United States command or not.
  2. Any blind person.
  3. Any veteran of peace-time service who has a physical disability incurred during service.
Any person falling into one of these classifications must first make application to the judge of the probate court of the county in which he/she resides for a certificate of eligibility. Each applicant must:
  1. Complete an Application for Certificate of Eligibility for Veterans License
  2. Bring to Probate Court the following documentation:
    1. A current driver’s license or government issued ID with your current address
    2. Your DD-214
    3. Your current VA Summary of Benefits Letter
    4. If blind, furnish satisfactory proof of blindness.
  3. Make an appointment with the Record Room in the Chatham County Probate Court.
A certificate of eligibility issued by the judge of the probate court is prima-facie evidence of the right of the holder to receive the certificate of exemption from the commissioner of veterans’ service, but the commissioner may require additional proof.

No retail dealer's license or tax stamps for distilled spirits may be sold to any person unless an application is filed with the state revenue commissioner, accompanied by a certificate by the judge of the probate court of the county of the applicant's residence certifying that the applicant has been a bona fide resident of the county or municipality for at least 12 months immediately preceding the application and is a resident of the county or municipality where distilled spirits may be legally sold.


  1. Driver’s License/Georgia Identification with a Chatham County Address
    If the issue date on the Driver’s License/Georgia Identification card is less than 30 days old, the applicant must provide additional proof of domicile within the county to the court by proof of the following:
    1. A. Two utility bills issued within the past 60 days, indicating a Chatham County address, OR
    2. B. Copy of current lease or rental agreement, or closing statement from the purchase of a home. If the applicant is living with a relative/friend and does not have an agreement, a sworn affidavit by the individual with whom the applicant is living indicating the length of time in the home as a residence is acceptable.
  2. Affidavit of Residence