Probate Court accepts pleadings with correct fees by mail, drop box or by appointment. To make an appointment to file a Guardianship or Conservatorship pleading or to get information, please go to the following:

Conservator Class – Probate Court Standing Order

Entered September 14, 2022, pursuant to Uniform Probate Court Rule 1.3

Effective October 1, 2022, a petitioner asking to be appointed conservator for a minor or incapacitated adult will be required to attend the Conservator Class offered by the Probate Court of Chatham County twice each month. Please read the Standing Order and print out the Conservator Class Flyer for more information. Conservators are required to manage and safeguard the property and funds of the ward and the Probate Court is required by law to oversee the conservators. Conservators are required to file two (2) financial reports annually which are reviewed by the Probate Court with the assistance of a local CPA firm. Beginning October 1, 2022, the Conservator Class can be taken before filing a petition but must be completed no later than two months after appointment. Understanding the responsibilities and the required forms will help conservators be efficient, effective and prepared. Please sign up for the Conservator Class through the following link.

Please read the Standing Order and print out the Conservator Class Flyer for more information.

In which county do I file my petition for guardianship and/or conservatorship of an adult?

Petitions for the Appointment of a Guardian and Conservator of an Adult are filed in the proposed ward’s county of domicile or in the county where the proposed ward is found.

When is a petition for guardianship and conservatorship of an adult required?

In Georgia, The Probate Court may grant guardianship of an adult who is found by the court to lack sufficient capacity to make or communicate significant responsible decisions concerning his or her health or safety, and may grant conservatorship of an adult who is found by the court to lack sufficient capacity to make or communicate significant responsible decisions concerning the management of his or her property.

Petitions may be filed once a proposed ward has turned 17½ years of age.

What is the procedure for becoming a guardian or conservator for an adult?

After your petition is filed, the court will serve the proposed ward, appoint an attorney for the proposed ward, schedule an evaluation by a court-appointed evaluator, and schedule a hearing. Additionally, the Court will notify the nearest adult relatives [including but not limited to parents, siblings, children] about the petition and the hearing.

Often conservators are required to post a bond prior to their appointment. A bond is an insurance policy to ensure that the ward’s funds are protected in the event that the appointed conservator mishandles the assets. The court will set the amount of the bond based on the value of the liquid assets of the ward. Insurance companies write bonds based on a credit check. We suggest that you start with your auto or homeowners insurance company and if they are not able to write surety bonds, you may request a list of insurance companies at the time your petition is filed.

What if I am not approved for a Bond?

If you are not approved for a bond, you may file a motion with the court requesting the appointment of a county conservator; or if the court does not receive your bond within 60 days of the date of your appointment, the court will automatically appoint a county conservator.

What are my responsibilities as Guardian and/or Conservator?

You are required to file annual reports with the Court and the Court reviews the reports to ensure that the guardian and/or conservator is being responsible and that the ward is safe and secure.

When does the guardianship and/or conservatorship end?

A guardianship of an adult ward ends automatically when the adult ward dies.

A conservatorship of an adult ward ends when the ward dies, when a ward’s rights are restored, or when the ward’s assets no longer justify management by a conservator. In order to close a conservatorship and be relieved from liability under the bond, the conservator must file a Petition for Discharge. In the event a ward dies, a certificate of death or copy of an obituary should be filed with the Court.

If you have been serving as a guardian or conservator for an adult and no longer wish to serve, you may file a Petition for Resignation seeking the appointment of a successor.

How much does it cost to file a petition for the appointment of a guardian and/or conservator for an adult?

In addition to the filing fee for the petition, the petitioner also pays for the court-appointed attorney (approximately $250) and evaluator (approximately $150).

Probate Court Fees

If you have any further questions specific to a guardianship and/or conservatorship of an adult, please call (912) 652-7264 (Option 5)